The complex is located in Gijduvon (approx. 50 km north ?east of Bukhara). It is formed around the tomb of the famous Sufi sheikh, the founder of the independent school of mysticism in the region of Central Asia ?Abdalkhalik ibn? Abdaldjalil al-Gijduvani (died in 1180 or 1220). His father was considered an authoritative faqih, bore the title of honorary sobriquet Abduljalil and erected its origins to Imam Malik ben Anans (713-795).
?Abdalkhalik himself according to the written tradition, studied from the famous mystic Abu Ya?qub Yusuf al-Hamadani (1048-1140) and then founded his own school. This mystical school was later called ?Khodjagan? and was fully accepted by Bahauddin Muhammad, better known by his nickname Nakshband (1318-1389).
Al-Gijduvoni formulated about 60 regulations, which the true Muslim busy with mystical-ascetic practice should follow: mandatory performance of shari?at requirements, the eradiction of reprehensible ?innovations? in Sufism (tasawwuf), voluntary, but self-sufficient poverty, asceticism, and the rejection of worldly pleasures, mandatory study of fiqh, etc. He considered reprehensible any contact with powerful people, particularly with the military people and state rulers, any interference in politics.
Obviously, because of the extremely popularity of tomb al-Gijduvani among Muslims in the region, the 900th anniversary of Abdalkhalik al Gijduvani was widely celebrated. Restoration of the complex and celebrations was chaired by President of Uzbekistan Islam Karimov. Extensive restoration and landscaping work were carried out on the area of six hectares. Visiting this popular site continues to this day. The authors of the restored inscriptions are H.Salih and A.Razzoqov.